Red Diamond Achiever Award Winner: Q&A with Joe Schlenk of Deltec Homes
By Berit Griffin
September 24, 2013
Last week we showed you the beautiful Arnold project by Deltec Homes. Today we have a Q&A with Joe Schlenk of Deltec. Take it away, Joe!
1. Tell us why you decided to use Integrity in your project. What drove your decision?
Integrity was the logical choice; quality, service and performance were key factors. This home was built to ENERGY STAR® Certification and also had a great view that required a lot of large windows. The durability and high performance of Integrity windows help make this project a great success.
2. What was your favorite part about this project (besides the windows!)?
The design process was thoroughly enjoyable. Our customer wanted a large open area for ballroom dancing and is a member of a National Storytelling Guild. He has an open area of about 1000 square feet for dancing and entertaining his guests.
3. Can you give us your thoughts about the building industry today? Do you see improvement? If so, how? If not, why?
We have seen some noticeable improvement but there is still a long way to go. We are having great success with people who are tired of waiting on a recovery and have decided to move ahead building their dream home. These are the people who will revitalize the US building industry.
4. You obviously have a lot of experience building beautiful homes! Can you talk a little bit more about how you balance managing your customers’ expectations and producing the best product possible?
It starts with our Sales department. We offer world class sales consultation that enables us to give our clients the best information so that they can make an informed buying decision. If client’s expectations are out of line with their budget we will work them into a design that meets their lifestyle and budgetary needs.
5. The building industry can be very rewarding. Are you concerned with the future of it, as it pertains to attracting young talent? What more could the industry do to ensure it remains a choice career option?
We realized many years ago that the future of our company was to get career-minded young people on staff. One of the best ways we discovered to find young talent was through an intern program partnering with local colleges, trade schools and universities. Some of our key additions to our staff from the last few years came from our intern program.
6. Any other thoughts you’d like to share?
It has been suggested lately that owning a home is an outdated value, that renting is the way to go. It is our duty as building professionals to not let that happen. The building industry has led this nation out of all the major recessions of the last 100 years. By controlling costs, offering better performance and durability and being more in tune with our client’s needs we can keep this from happening. Home ownership is the key to our success as a society and a nation.
Thanks for answering our questions, Joe! If you like the Arnold project, don’t forget to vote for it in the People’s Choice award.