Restoration of Historic Vaucluse
Architect Name: Stephen Muse
Architecture Firm: Muse Architects
This project involves restoration, renovation, and additions at Vaucluse, a historic plantation home located on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. The original Vaucluse house was constructed in 1784 by the Upshur family and expanded in 1829. Over the years a number of additions were erected at the eastern end of the house and several porches were built and removed on the water side. The new scope of work included the complete restoration/renovation of the original historic house, the removal of recent additions that were out of character with the house, and the construction of new additions that would provide additional living space while capturing the view of the Creek. To accomplish this, the twin porches from the drive side of the house were replicated on the waterfront side, and a new kitchen with a breakfast bay was connected to the existing structure by a one-story hyphen. Additional work included the restoration of all outbuildings, the construction of a new garage and the restoration of all driveways, walkways and gardens.