Smyrna Opera House
Architect Name: Jay Cooperson
Architecture Firm: Cooperson Associates
The Smyrna Opera House was constructed in 1867 and expanded in 1878. Fire destroyed the third floor and bell tower in 1948. The building’s first floor had served as city hall, police station and jail. Today the first floor accommodates the Smyrna Public Library. The second floor originally housed a theatre and other public assemblies; subsequently converted to a movie house, it stood vacant for many years.
A study determined the feasibility of restoring the second floor and reconstructing the tower and third floor for community activities from theatre to art shows.