FAQ Knowledge Articles

A drip cap is a formed aluminum or vinyl piece which is installed at the top of windows and doors that allows water to run off the casing of the unit instead of seeping around the casing and into the unit.

A drip cap (or metal flashing) is a water deflection device (used for moisture control) to reduce the flow of water running down the face of the building from impinging onto the window.  It can be formed from various metals or polymer materials and is place above (and sometimes below) the window frame.  In some applications, it is formed into the decorative casing surrounding the window.  There is anecdotal evidence that having a drip edge over a window can extend the life of materials in some applications and exposures, and is recommended best practice.