Job Title: Controls Engineer
Team: CEG (Custom Equipment Group)
FLSA Classification: Salaried (Exempt)
Reports to: CEG Programming Manager
The CEG Controls Engineer works on the CEPG Controls Team to program, research, upgrade, purchase, install and maintain all controls for the manufacturing and facility equipment throughout the Marvin family of brands. Will work closely with manufacturing, maintenance, engineering, systems and facility personnel to design, implement and support the needs related to Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and controls throughout the organization. Position is responsible for researching, analyzing and testing existing and new control systems and technologies. Responsibilities also include working closely with vendors, suppliers, engineers and project teams to facilitate the transfer of new equipment, technologies and products to the production floor; as well as, improving machine efficiency and striving to enhance current systems to meet the needs of the future. Individual must have a thorough understanding of the organizations control systems, equipment schematics, electrical standards and safety programs to provide technical support and training to maintenance and operators.
• RESEARCH/FORWARD THINKING - Assist in the research, analysis, installation and testing of automation control systems to improve machine efficiency and advance current systems to meet project and future production demands while maintaining feedback loops and end user training. Provide input to controls components/devices, software, database, graphic display and external system interface requirements while adhering to company standards and alignment with IS strategies.
• TROUBLESHOOTING/RESOLUTION/PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE - Ability and skill set to diagnose electrical, mechanical, pneumatic and programmatic problems of equipment and facilities in order to provide solutions to ensure equipment and processes are continually operational. Provide input for preventative maintenance rule sets for common recurring issues to enhance equipment and facility effectiveness. Support the Marvin companies, as applicable, to analyze current operational procedures. Identify user problems and systems needs to make improvements or resolve issues with our internal customers.
• RELATIONSHIPS - Liaison and critical resource between our vendors and new or modified equipment to ensure control panels, wiring schematics, components and general controls/electrical practices align with our General Specification and procedures. Build and maintain internal relationships across all functional departments.
• COMMUNICATION - Strong, proactive communication skills are an expectation along with the responsibility for creating a team environment while training and mentoring others to ensure we win as a team.
• SAFETY - Practice safe work procedures and comply with the provisions of the Integrity Windows and Doors Electrical and Safety Policies.
Education, Training and Experience:
• Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent 4-year degree in a related field required
• Two or more years related experience/training required
• Ability to use electrical test equipment and hand tools
• Proficient ability to read and understand prints and schematics
• Knowledge of AutoCAD Electrical and Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook, Access)
• Working knowledge of PLC and Operator Interface programming languages is required
Direct Supervisory Responsibility:
No Supervisory Responsibility
We are committed to providing a safe working environment, including properly functioning equipment, appropriate materials for the job at hand, and defined operating procedures. Our associates are expected to understand, observe and follow our safety rules/regulations, including the use of personal protected equipment (PPE) such as eyewear and gloves. Active participation in safety programs/training is expected from all associates.
Every associate has the important responsibility of ensuring his/her work product and individual actions reflect our commitment to our quality standards.
Every associate must become/remain current on all training required by the Company for his/her position. Whenever applicable, hazardous waste streams are handled in accordance with established procedures.
Associates should maintain a high level of mutual respect for one another — associates are required to consistently act responsibly and treat each other with respect, trust and dignity.
Work performed can usually be classified into one of four main categories, although an associate may frequently transition between different categories as he/she performs the various responsibilities of his/her position.