Role is responsible for the development and implementation of design activities in support of developing new designs and/or improving upon the performance and design of existing products. This includes modeling designs, creating drawings, fabrication of assemblies, and testing. Participate in development of the design schedule and test plan. Effectively communicate and document design activities to the design team, facility, materials and project managers. Show a proven track record of success on multiple complex product development and continuous improvement projects.
• Design, Development and Testing (DDT): Execute design, drafting and testing of design activities in product development and continuous improvement projects. Verify fit, form, and function is correct by utilizing 3D modeling software. Work with lab personnel on test methods and setups for proper test protocol.
• Prototyping: Lead and train others in advanced prototype activities using shop tools and equipment for feasibility analysis. Brainstorm ideas and modeling concepts by prototyping new designs with solid model file for rapid prototyping.
• Engineering Support and Document Management: Create and track ECN’s (Electronic Change Notices). Update drawings and documents ensuring they meet drafting standards. Capable of developing and updating technical documents for customer service departments in product development and continuous improvement projects.
• Product Knowledge: Demonstrate thorough knowledge of product components and designs, understanding how design relates to field performance and certification requirements.
Education, Training and Experience:
• Associate's degree or equivalent required, as is five or more years experience in product design
• Working knowledge of 2D and 3D Modeling software (Inventor preferred) and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Access, Outlook, Excel, etc.) required
• Understanding of manufacturing processes and material properties, as well as five or more years of window and door experience preferred
• Must be able to read the engineering drawings and use standard tools for identifying dimensions, angles and tolerances
• Must be able to effectively support development of Key Quality Characteristics, tolerances, and test methods to ensure the project objectives will continue to be met consistently
Direct Supervisory Responsibility:
No Supervisory Responsibility