The Aviation Manager leads the overall operations of the Aviation Department including the management of a Chief Pilot, eight full-time Pilots, two part-time Pilots, a Chief of Aviation Maintenance and three full-time Aircraft Mechanics, three Beechcraft 1900D turboprops and a Cessna Citation XLS jet. The department is very active flying approximately 1,500 flights (legs) each year. Safety is the department’s first and foremost priority! The Aviation Manager will help to set the strategic vision for the future of the Company’s aviation operations.
Key Goals and Vision for This Position:
Establish and maintain a premier aviation department. Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with policies to ensure aviation-related regulations, directives and procedures are followed. Establish and maintain a culture of mutual respect in which the aviation team feels valued. Prepare an annual operating budget and monitor budget progress monthly. Report major budget deviations to management. Advise management on the status and requirements of aircraft, support equipment, and personnel to ensure accomplishment of Company goals. Provide leadership, business guidance and strategic vision for the Aviation Department.
Major Roles and Functional Responsibilities:
• Provide leadership and direction to effectively manage the Aviation Department.
• Ensure compliance with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and other applicable agencies' regulations pertaining to aviation operations and maintenance.
• Select and supervise department staff to include scheduling training, overseeing performance and confirming appropriate certification/licensing compliance.
• Provide effective communication with department staff, customers, regulatory representatives and other personnel concerning aviation issues.
• Ensure department culture is aligned with Company values.
• Maintain the Aviation Operations Manual, records, reports and correspondence pertaining to department operations.
• Represent the Company in aviation issues to include negotiating with aviation service providers.
• Implement and maintain budgets, programs and procedures to assure safe and efficient department operations.
• Conduct studies and analyses as needed to facilitate cost-effective upgrades to aircraft and ensure aircraft utilization meets Company needs.
• Direct emergency response activities as necessary.
Knowledge and Experience:
• Demonstrated experience successfully leading a team of aviation professionals.
• Knowledge of FAA, Department of Transportation (DOT), and National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) regulations.
• Experience in aviation department management.
• Skilled in developing and maintaining Aviation Operations Manual and related aviation operation documents.
• Function as advocate for aviation operations and flight safety.
• Highly effective verbal and written communication skills.
• Exhibit moderate level of computer skills.
• Possess a high level of integrity, initiative, teamwork and leadership.
• Maintain Department in a generally IS-BAO certification compliant state.
• Ensure pilots maintain certification and appropriate training.
• Maintain aircraft in accordance with applicable FARs and manufacturers’ standards.
• Demonstrate inter-personal communication and relationship building skills.
• Exhibit leadership, loyalty, integrity, professionalism, and initiative.
• Demonstrate a customer focus.
• Utilize available resources in a responsible manner.
• Able to remain calm and demonstrate leadership during highly stressful situations.
• Bachelor’s Degree in an aviation-related field/or equivalent experience in aviation operations.
• Five or more years of supervisory experience in an FAA Part 91 Flight Operation.
• Certified Aviation Manager (CAM) preferred.