Planning the perfect media room
May 2, 2012, at 9:00 am by John Kirchner
Check your local movie listings and you would have a hard time finding a ticket for less than $10. Over the past few years, movie night has become absurdly expensive.
At the same time, media rooms are becoming more popular as home-theater systems have not only improved in quality but become easier to plan a room around. (Remember those bulky big-screen TVs from the late 1990s? Oy vey.)
Whether you’re finishing a basement or you’ve included a media room in your new home, planning includes more than a visit to your nearest home electronics retail store. Here’s a list of tips from Houzz to create the perfect media room for your home:
- Include storage and shelves for all of your favorite books and movies
- Have fun with the paint scheme. Go with a mural like a star-speckled sky or dark, rich colors to accommodate dim lighting
- Prioritize comfort when choosing furniture
- Create theater-like acoustics by using sound paneling or wall upholstery
- Include a bar or kitchenette to serve as your at-home concessions stand
Do you have a media room in your home? What’s your favorite feature?
[Photo from Deep River Partners]