Warming the house: Housewarming gift ideas
By Berit Griffin, Marvin Windows
August 18, 2011
Over at Apartment Therapy, they are talking about housewarming gifts. What a great topic! Whether you are renting or buying, moving is a big deal, and a few thoughtful gifts from friends can make the new place seem like home right away.
Apartment Therapy suggests the following as housewarming gift ideas: custom moving announcements, first aid kits, a (small) painting or photo, magazine subscription, return address stamps, Real Simple’s The Organized Home book, a ladder and cleaning supplies.
We also suggest:
- The book Home Comforts–you will never wonder how to clean anything again.
- A funky throw pillow–a new pillow can brighten up a room and it can go almost anywhere.
- A gift card to their favorite home store, whether that is the local home superstore or the hand-dipped candle store down the street.
- An offer to take them out to a neighborhood restaurant. This is especially appropriate if they have moved to a new ‘hood and are eager to try things out.
- A bottle of wine to savor at a later time–Champagne to celebrate perhaps?
What’s your favorite thing to give or get for housewarmings?