How to: Go green nowBy John Kirchner
April is Earth Month, an expansion of the more traditional Earth Day celebrations that take place in April. In the spirit of the holiday, here are some quick tips and ideas for things you can do at home to go green now.
A few tips from Re-Nest:
- Reduce vampire energy by plugging your electrical appliances into power strips and turning the strips off when not in use. Not only will this save energy, it will save you money (check out this chart for proof).
- Shop locally. Check out your area’s farmers market and try to buy items from local sources to reduce the environmental impact of transporting your goods from the other side of the world.
- Start a vegetable garden. A great way to start being mindful of your consumption is to watch your food grow. Need help starting? We have some tips here.
And some more from Top Green Products:
- Change air conditioner filters at least once a month.
- Start a compost bin.
- Water grass only when necessary, and do so in early morning.
The Green Living guide at About.com offers some somewhat less common advice:
- Don’t buy something today
- Tune up your car
- Buy organic food