Federal tax credit offers 10 percent (up to $500) on energy efficient home productsBy Integrity Windows
The summer building season may be winding to a close, but builders and remodelers should know there’s still plenty of incentive for consumers to pursue new projects through autumn.
The federal tax credit for consumer energy efficiency, which doesn’t expire until Dec. 31, offers a 10 percent return of up to $500 on qualifying ENERGY STAR products, including insulation, HVAC systems, water heaters, roofing systems, windows and doors.
Integrity has created an online guide featuring its energy efficient windows and doors that qualify for the tax credit. However, there’s some additional considerations beyond finding the right products:
- To qualify, windows and doors need to be installed by Dec. 31, not just purchased.
- Homeowners do not have to replace all the windows/doors/skylights in the home to qualify.
- New home construction does not qualify.
- No vacation homes or rentals — it must be the owner’s principal residence.
- It doesn’t need to be a replacement, either. The tax credit would include the installation of a new window or door where there wasn’t one previously, as would be the case with an addition.
- The tax credit does not include cost of installation.
Whether its replacing a stubborn patio door with the Wood-Ultrex Sliding Patio Door or swapping out leaky bedroom windows for Wood-Ultrex Casement windows, Integrity offers an entire lineup of windows and doors that not only qualify for the federal tax credit, but also meet homeowners’ standards for style and function. With winter drawing closer and energy bills inching upward, this is a great opportunity for homeowners to upgrade their home’s energy efficiency.