7 Tips to Protect Your Home in the Winter MonthsBy Integrity Windows
Summer has passed, fall is here and winter is on the way. In addition to raking up leaves and closing up pools, homeowners should start thinking about how to prepare their homes for the onset of colder temperatures. Doing so will increase energy efficiency throughout the winter months and lesson the chance of emergency repairs, says Realtor Mag. This is also a great time to start planning remodel projects, check mechanical systems and combat drafts.
Following are 7 tips to help better protect your home during the colder months ahead, as listed by Realtor Mag:
- Ensure there are no gaps in insulation or crawl spaces that expose pipes to cold air, which could put the pipes at risk of freezing and bursting.
- Have your heating system checked by a licensed technician before cold weather requires daily use.
- Block drafts around doors, windows and baseboards with weather stripping, window film and caulk to control heat loss.
- Install storm doors and windows to improve energy-efficiency and get rid of drafts.
- Have chimneys cleaned by an experienced chimney sweep to prevent the risk of a fire from buildup or blockages.
- Spray door locks with powdered-graphite lubricant to prevent freezing and sticking.
- Set ceiling fans to rotate clockwise to force rising warm air back towards the floor.